[aspectc-user] AspectC++-Request:

Ellis, Brian J brian.j.ellis at boeing.com
Thu May 23 01:15:05 CEST 2002

Hi Daniel,

My name is Brian Ellis and I work with Dave Sharp and Mark Schulte at Boeing
in St. Louis MO.

I'm following up on Mark's initial inquiry of your AspectC++ compiler.  We
would like to take you up on your offer.  If you port your AspectC++
complier to Cygwin, I would be happy to evaluate and provide feedback on it.

Please allow me to offer you some background of our interest in your
AspectC++ compiler.  Here in St. Louis we at Boeing are involved in
developing very large (1 million plus SLOCs) embedded software systems for
military tactical aircraft (both manned and unmanned).  These embedded
systems are primarily being developed using the C++ language.

Our group is currently working under a United States governmental contract
through the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to investigate
the possible use of aspects for the development of our military
applications.  Under this contract Boeing is teaming up with The University
of Virginia and we are currently developing a language independent design
tool called VEST (Virginia Embedded Systems Toolkit) to demonstrate using
aspects during the composition of embedded systems using components.
Because our components are typically being developed using the C++ language,
we have a great deal of interest in investigating the possibility of
applying your compiler to bridge the gap between our language independent
aspect toolkit and our C++ components.

Dave Sharp and I attended the 1st International Conference on
Aspect-Oriented Software Development at the University of Twente in Eschede,
The Netherlands during week of 22 April.  We were hoping to meet someone
there involved with your AspectC++ Compiler but we had no such luck.  Was
someone there in attendance?

Do you have any idea when your port to Cygwin could be complete?  Please
contact me if I can supply you with any additional information.

Thank you,
Brian Ellis
Boeing Phantom Works
St. Louis Mo, USA