[aspectc-user] Pointcut for constructor

Danilo Beuche danilo.beuche at pure-systems.com
Mon Aug 11 13:07:02 CEST 2003

Iwan Birrer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How does a pointcut for a constructor look like? I have the following for a
> class 'Receiver':
>
> pointcut receiverConstructor() = "Receiver(...)";
>
> Unfortunately this does not work...
>
> Thanks for any help
> Iwan

short answer: it is not possible to match a constructor with a pointcut
expression in the current version of AspectC++ (0.7).

longer answer: The way aspects are implemented in AspectC++ does not
allow for weaving aspects into constructor/destructor code. Aspects are
realized as separate methods which call the original code if necessary.
This scheme does not work for constructors. It is not possible to call
the old constructor directly (constructors are called implicitly be
compiler generated code only).

If you write own software or are able to modify the original source, you
could introduce an additional method, e.g. "create( )" which does the
real work. This can be matched with an pointcut expression and thus
modified. I know this is ugly, but maybe someone has an idea how to
improve this...

aspect Foo
{
	pointcut rCreate() = "R::create(...)";
};

class Bar
{
	Bar() { create() };
	void create() { do_something(); }
};

CU,
	Danilo
--
Danilo Beuche                           Phone: +49-391-54456910
pure-systems GmbH                       Fax:   +49-391-54456990