[aspectc-user] Setting return value in advice very expensive

Olaf Spinczyk os at aspectc.org
Fri Sep 2 09:45:23 CEST 2011

Hi!

We haven't made any observations of significant performance degradation
caused by result value modifications.

It is important to have code optimization enabled (e.g. compile with
-O2). Otherwise the around advice and all the small joinpoint API
functions won't be inlined, which is essential from the performance
point of view.

Furthermore, have you checked whether the call to
VMThread_get_safe_global caused the problem here? One thing you could
try in order to find the root of the problem is to implement (a) empty
around advice and (b) around advice which only contains "*tjp->result()
= *tjp->result();". After that we will better know where the performance
problem really comes from.

Cheers,

Olaf