[aspectc-user] tracing object creation

Darrell Schiebel darrell at schiebel.us
Wed Nov 11 02:01:37 CET 2020

Hello,

I would like to use Aspect C++ to track the construction of objects in a
specific namespace (in this example "casa"). I want to have a message
printed each time an object is created from one of the classes in the
namespace.

I have gone through the reference manual but I am still having trouble
understanding how one narrows the methods down to only the constructors.
This is what I've come up with based on an example from the reference
manual:

aspect Trace {

       pointcut methods() = "casa::...::;

       advice execution(methods()) : before() {

           std::cout << "executing " << JoinPoint::signature() << "(";

           for (unsigned i = 0; i < JoinPoint::args(); i++)

               printvalue(tjp->arg(i), JoinPoint::argtype(i));

           cout << ")" << endl;

           tjp->proceed();

           cout << "after" << endl;

       }