[aspectc-user] AspectC++ running/installation problems

Olaf Spinczyk olaf at ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu May 23 15:51:08 CEST 2002

Hi Aleksandra,

On Wednesday, 22. May 2002 12:42, you wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm a PhD student working on real-time databases, and now I'm trying to
> integrate aspect-oriented programming into database programming. I'm
> currently working on the database which is written in C, and thought
> that I might use AspectC++ to add some aspects into the database (as I
> read in one of AspectC++ papers that it should be possible to use
> AspectC++ to compile with C).

That's right, we mentioned it in one paper. However, we never used AspectC++
with C code. Now we have the problem that ac++ generates C++ in some cases
and a C compiler will not compile the generated code. To solve this problem
we need to add a command line switch to select the input language, which will
allow ac++ to generate different code for both cases. This is not a big
effort, but we haven't done it yet.

Do you compile your C code with a C or with a C++ compiler? It could work
with a C++ compiler.

> I've downloaded the AspectC++ from the web page and followed the install
> instructions. However, I could not make the compiler work - I get
> complains on make files, and simply said, aspects are not recognized.
> Have you encounter these problems before, and how can one get over them
> and have AspectC++ up and running (I tried to make it work both on Linux
> on my notebook, and on the Sun workstation, but I had similar problems
> with both). I'd appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

One problem that I would expect is that your sources will be named "*.c",
right? Unfortunately AspectC++ ignores them. It expects files to be called
"*.cc", "*.C", or "*.cpp". The next release will have a command line switch
for this extension.

If your problem is something different, then please explain it with some more
details. We will try to help.

Thanks,