[aspectc-user] Announcement of AspectC++ 0.8.1

Olaf Spinczyk Olaf.Spinczyk at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Apr 16 16:13:52 CEST 2004

Hi,

this is an announcement of the new ac++ version 0.8.1. It can be
downloaded from www.aspectc.org. Binaries for Linux and Win32 as well as
the source code (GPL license) are available.
Binaries for MacOS X and Solaris can be compiled on demand.

This is a maintainance release. The most important fix is that ac++ can
compile itself again. This was a bug in the 0.8 release. Furthermore,
ac++ can now parse the QT 3.2.3 header files under Linux (note that ac++
still can't manipulate macro-generated code like the declarations of the
moc-generated functions).

Here is the usual excerpt from the ChangeLog that describes the
improvements and fixes of this version:

Version 0.8.1 (2004-04-16)

         * fixed the bug that caused ac++ 0.8 being unable to transform
           the Puma code, which is needed to compile itself.

         * fixed the parser problems that caused errors when the QT
           header files were included (tested on Linux).

         * fixed match-signatures which contain array types

         * fixed code generation for the proceed code, which
           is generated for call advice for operators

         * avoid warning if ac++ generated code is compiled
           with g++ -Wall, because unintialized _fptr in action struct

         * improved mangling of match expressions in type check functions

         * fixed generation of aspect friend declarations in classes, if
           these are defined in a namespace; added Namespaces test
           program

Some hints/warnings:

          1. We fixed a problem with the generation of array
             declarations and signatures containing arrays for matching.
             Due to these changes the signatures which are used for
             matching your match-expressions slightly changed (some
             spaces are missing now). This might cause some trouble if
             you describe your functions to be matched very precisely.
             They might not be matched anymore.
             If you excessively use this kind of precise match-
             expressions, we recommend to wait with the next ac++ update
             for version 0.8.2 where we want to make the match-
             mechanism more tolerant concerning white space characters.

Please continue to help us improve the ac++ implementation by entering
bug reports at http://www.aspectc.org/bugzilla or simply asking
questions on this mailing list. We are happy to see that more and more
users already provide this feedback!

Best regards,

Olaf Spinczyk