[aspectc-user] 2 questions: "within" a function; call vs execution context

Mike Mortensen mmo at fc.hp.com
Thu Nov 15 18:09:51 CET 2007

I think these might both be simple questions, but both are involve
practical, everyday types of things to do with aspects that I thought I
could
do and then ran into problems with!

Suppose I have a Circle class, that has 2 methods, getArea and getPerimeter,
that call a function -- getPI() -- which I use to decide how precise the
math
value PI should be, like this:

double getPI() {
   return 3.1415;
}

class Circle {
  double radius, x, y;
public:
     double getArea() {
       return radius * radius * getPI();
    }
    double getPerimeter() {
       return 2.0 * radius * getPI();
    }

};

If I want to advise (i.e. trace or whatever) the calls to getPI() within
the Circle
class,I can do that easily using within:

aspect AdvisePI {

   pointcut call_pi_within_Circle() =
      call("% getPI()") && within("Circle");

   advice call_pi_within_Circle() : before()
   {
      cerr << "AOP: About to call PI within Circle class, JoinPoint="
           << JoinPoint::signature() << endl;
   }
};

Thus, *any* call to getPI() from within the Circle class gets traced.

Here's my question -- what if I also have a procedural version of
getArea, like this:

float CircleArea(float r)
{
   return r * r * getPI();
}

and I would like to trace getPI()  but only when it's called within the
CircleArea function.
I know I could use 'cflow', but that is extra overhead (i.e. it advises
*all* calls to getPI and
then at run time checks to see if it's within the execution of CircleArea).
Also, my real goal is to advise *all* function calls within some other
function (like CircleArea)
for tracing.  But I don't want *every* function in the system to have
advise that at run time
checks cflow.

I've tried advising getPI within Circle area a couple of ways:

  pointcut call_pi_within_CircleArea1() =
      call("% getPI()") && within("% %::CircleArea(...)");

   pointcut call_pi_within_CircleArea2() =
      call("% getPI()") && within("CircleArea");

and also tried using within in conjuction with a named pointcut, but the
weave says this is illegal:
   pointcut CircleAreaExec() = execution("% CircleArea(...)");
   pointcut call_pi_within_CircleArea3() =
      call("% getPI()") && within(CircleAreaExec());  /* ILLEGAL !  */

To summarize:

    QUESTION #1: Can I use within (or other static mechanism, not cflow)
to trace all calls to getPI()
      within another function, rather than within a class or namespace?

For question #2, consider calls to getPI in the circle class and within
the CircleArea() function.
Whether I use a call pointcut or execution pointcut, when I print out
'JoinPoint::signature()'
within the advice, it is:
   double getPI()

This is fine...but what I really want is the name of the caller.  It
would be nice to print out
which function was about to call getPI(), but I can't seem to do that,
even when using the calling
pointcut so that I'm 'intercepting' the calls within the caller rather
than at the execution.
I know that with the calling context I can get the object invoking the
method -- but can I get
the name of the method about to call getPI()?

To summarize:

   QUESTION #2:  When using a call pointcut where multiple methods call
that joinpoint, is there
       some way to print out not the matching function being called
(getPI) but instead the
       actual caller's name -- Circle::getArea() or Circle::getPerimeter()?

Thanks!
-Mike

PS  I'm attaching my aspect file and code in case it helps clarify any
of these questions...