[aspectc-user] Use of AspectC++ for C

Olaf Spinczyk Olaf.Spinczyk at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Sep 24 13:11:46 CEST 2007

Dear Krishnan,

the AspectC++ weaver (ac++) does not fully support weaving in plain C code. This
is the reason why it is hard to find experience reports on that topic.
Nevertheless, one project you should read about is the COMET embedded database
system from Linkoping University. The system is written in C and a number of
papers reported on the use of aspects (written in AspectC++). However, note that
this only worked because the code, which was generated by ac++, was compiled
with a C++ compiler. A plain C compiler is not able to compile the files that
are produced by the aspect weaver.

Better support for plain C has been on the TODO list for quite a while, but
since I moved to a different university recently the development slowed down
during the last year. Now as the big step is done, we will revive the project as
soon as possible. Concerning your evaluation I will contact you directly.

Best regards,

Olaf