[aspectc-user] Use of AspectC++ for C

Mike Mortensen mmo at fc.hp.com
Mon Sep 24 17:57:14 CEST 2007

Hi Krishnan,
We have been evaluating the benefits of AspectC++ in legacy systems.
Although the legacy systems are C++, some aspects deal with C-style coding.
In fact, many legacy C++ systems seem to have a lot of C-style procedural
code and sometimes make limited use of inheritance, design patterns, etc.

One example we describe is creating an aspect to 'catch' the NULL returns
from a system function (fopen) and converting it to a C++ exception.
Although you wouldn't want to convert it to an exception, catching NULL
returns from a function or set of functions is a very C-oriented type of
aspect.
This work is described in this paper:
   http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~mortense/AsEx.pdf

Other papers on the site above describe debugging aspects
(*Using Aspects with Object-Oriented Frameworks*) and
caching functions (Creating Pluggable and Reusable
Non-functional Aspects in AspectC++)...

Hope this helps!
-Mike