[aspectc-user] volatile kills args (...) matching

Panu Bloigu panu.bloigu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:12:30 CEST 2008

Hello.

arnd-hendrik.mathias at nefkom.net wrote:
> Hi,
> I just recognized one strange effect with parameter types in
> pointcuts: If I declare one parameter of a function as volatile type
> (in the source code as well as in the aspect) ac++ does no longer
> match this execution (nor call) pointcut ( execution ( "% blah ( ...
> )" ) && args ( bli, blubb )).
> Has anyone experienced this before?
> Regards
If you think that you have found a bug in ac++, then could you please
post a compilable code example that demonstrates the problem. If at all
possible, it would be good to try to minimize the code example so that
it still is compilable and still demonstrates the problem. If your
findings indeed turn out to be a bug in ac++, then I'm pretty sure the
AspectC++ developers will appreciate that you reported it.

> Arnd-Hendrik
>
> P.S.: I know that a volatile parameter in a function looks somewhat
> uncommon, but I just stripped it down for debugging purposes. In real
> life it's a typedef'ed HW-Register value and this must be volatile.

It's hard to say if this is relevant in your case, but I think that
using type aliases (i.e. typedef'd type names) in pointcut descriptions
is considered problematic. I once posted a question about this on the
list, and here's Olaf's explanation on the issues involved:
http://aspectc.org/pipermail/aspectc-user/2007-January/001098.html

-- Panu